I can only represent it to you by metaphors.
我只能用隐喻来向你描述它.
To mix yet more metaphors, you were trying to run before you could walk, and I've clipped your wings.
混用更多的隐喻来说,你还没学会走就想跑,而我又剪掉了你的翅膀。
Times are changed and we must, to use the homely metaphor, cut our coat according to our cloth.
时代变了,因此, 用朴实的隐喻来讲, 我们必须“适应环境”.
We understand metaphors intuitively, but what does that really mean?
我们凭直觉理解隐喻, 但直觉真正的意思是什么?
The answer again goes back to the global metaphor of the desktop.
答案又要追溯到整体桌面隐喻.
Metaphors have many limitations when applied to modern, information - age systems.
当应用到信息时代的系统中时,隐喻存在很多局限性.
The idea that metaphors are a firm foundation for user - interface design is misleading.
隐喻是用户界面设计的坚实基础,这种观念是一种误导.
It may be easy to discover visual metaphors for physical objects like printers and documents.
也许寻找物理对象,如打印机和文档这样的视觉隐喻不是件难事.
Why not abandon this slavish devotion to metaphor and give the user easy access to functions?
为什么不放弃隐喻,使用户更容易访问功能?
Strict adherence to metaphors ties interfaces unnecessarily to the workings of the physical world.
刻意遵照隐喻会将界面和物理世界的事物不必要地绑在一起.
Creating unique symbols for types of objects in the interface supports user recognition.
在界面中为对象类型创建独特的符号有利于用户认知,这些符号并不总是表达性的或隐喻的.
Yet, we still use the same old metaphors and retrieval models to manage our data.
但是, 我们仍然使用相同的隐喻和检索模型管理我们的数据.
One of my favourite awards every year is for the mixed metaphor.
年年都最受我青睐的奖项之一是“多重隐喻奖”.
Story - telling presupposes linguistic representation accessible to our meaning dynamism.
故事的叙?已经进入了语言的表象,其基本特性是隐喻性的.
Metaphor has been the key task in the cognitive linguistic research.
摘要隐喻贯穿于人类一切自然语言和思维之中,是认知语义学研究的重点之一.